Wednesday 30 January 2013

THE DAY HE LED ME TO START WRITING

I remember, about 14 years ago, I was led/inspired to begin writing down my daily devotions and meditations from the word of God as I studied. This was sometimes around 1999. I did not quite understanding what the leading was all about or what God had in mind, but I obeyed.
Going through medical school, I continued obeying, and kept writing my personal Biblical devotions, meditations and revelations. It got so tough with the hurdles of studying medicine and church with fellowship commitments, but I still continued to write as I was led.
There was a time I thought to make it look attractive, so I decided to change the exercise books I used into hard cover note books. But, the Lord whispered to me that I should not, and I should continue with the use of the exercise book. His message was that His words are old and ever new and true. It looked funny. But then I found that I was trying to modernize my approach to writing down what I was  being taught by the Spirit. I discarded the idea of the hard cover books. I continued to write things down.
Many years have passed, and even years after leaving medical school, I have not stopped to write the things He teaches me from His word. Even this morning, I have written down things laid in my spirit and spoken to me by the Lord through his word. I also did yesterday. And interestingly, it is still on exercise books (60/80 leaves).
14 years now, and this positive and eternity defining tradition has continued. There are volumes of them. I have come to treasure this devotional packages only second to my Bibles. I would rather lose material things than lose them. I go to work with the exercise book in currently in use; sometimes I am able to fold them in my back pockets just to keep them close because the Lord could just speak at any time. Perhaps that is one reason the Lord guided against making them hard covers.
Many years later it became clear why the Lord led me to start writing those spiritual words.
“Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter” (Rev. 1:19).
These words (that I’ve received and still doth receive) have blessed my life tremendously. These words have made me better and stronger. These words have defined my life, destiny and eternity for good and for God. These words have shaped my life and eternity. I have written devotional out of these words. I have taught these words in Churches, campuses, fellowships, crusades, retreat, conferences, etc. These words have carried me to many places. These words have inspired others. The Lord has ministered salvation to many by these words of His. Some of these words I have taught online and have been read in many countries with feedbacks. I have written a book from these same words. I have produced a tract from these same words. We are producing a national mini-magazine from these same words. I have edited and contributed in many magazines/newsletters from these same words.
The other day, I shared with somebody; I post updates as I am led. There are so many typed teachings that have been there for weeks but not featured because it has to be the Lord leading. Sometimes I feel so restless in my spirit until I would obey and publish certain posts/updates/teachings. These words have come and never cease to come, so much so that should we be posting 2 teachings online per day, even without getting/writing any other new thing, there are enough to go for months. But, “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:13-14). I strive daily to know Him more, to be more like Him, to hear new things from Him. ALL TO THE GLORY OF GOD ALONE.
“For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure” (Phil. 2:13). It is indeed a privilege to be used of the Lord.
I also remember that point between translating what I receive personally into what the Lord would like others to hear. Someone said to me, “Bukola, you can write”. I never felt so. Perhaps I was given only to writing spiritual insights that come from my devotions. But, those words of that brother were actually from God. I took it up, included writing poems among it. And today, the rest is history. Through these words, I have hosted talkshows, been on radio and TV severally (including co-presenting a program on AIT, Kano, and guest on Kano TV during a world AIDS day celebration). I remember leading a team of some editors to interview Bishop David Abioye of the Living Faith Church, Nigeria. I remember the day I was sitting, waiting in the office of Pastor Sam Adeyemi of Daystar in Lagos, etc. I never went there because I am a doctor, but because many years ago, I obeyed that leading to start to write.
Many would say to me, “Why did you study medicine?” I would always say to them, “To me, being a doctor is a calling, and writing is a gift. But both the calling and the gift are ordained to fulfil God’s purpose alone”. ALL GLORY TO GOD ALONE AND FOREVER.
Friend, I come as a servant of God, to encourage you about that thing that God has once laid in your heart to do. It may look so small and appear without significance. I encourage you, never despise those things, because inside them may lie your earthly destiny, and beyond that, your place in eternity. More so, I encourage everyone to develop the positive attitude of writing down their personal devotions. It will help your growth in prayers, Bible study, and in spiritual things.
God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment