Friday 28 February 2014

SPIRITUAL EXAMINATION


TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 13:5
Spiritual self-examination is an on-going process in a believer’s life aimed at helping him/her to evaluate his/her current walk status with the Lord. It helps to know whether a believer is (still) ‘in His will’ or ‘out of His way’.
A spiritual examination is a time to ask and find answers to certain key questions that relate to destiny and eternity such as: “Am I still in God’s will?” “Am I doing it the way God said?” “Hope I am not leaving anything out?” “Is this relationship/association profitable to my life, destiny and eternity?” “Am I in the right place?” “Do I need to seek help from someone?”  
There are three (3) ways to carry out a spiritual examination;
i)                    EXAMINATION BY PEOPLE
There is nothing wrong if you ask your friends to honestly tell you about what they have noticed in your life; your strength, weaknesses and where they think you can work upon. The limitation with this type of evaluation is the potential for flattery and the tendency to refuse some observations which do not go done well with you.
ii)                  SELF – EXAMINATION (1 Corinthians 11:28; 2 Corinthians 13:5)
This entails stepping aside from people’s opinion about you and being honest to yourself about how well you are faring in the pursuit of divine destiny and Heaven. Sometimes I ask myself and also in the place of prayer if I am actually doing the things God asks me to do. Sometimes it is only you that can tell yourself the truth.
iii)                DIVINE EXAMINATION (Psalm 26:2; Psalm 139:23)
This is the most reliable form of spiritual assessment because God will never deceive you neither will he flatter you. When we pray to God to search and open us up, we are enlightened to areas of our lives we need to pay more close attention to and work on.
When a man constantly examines himself, it births prompt submission, repentance where necessary and absolute dependence on God’s grace for living. It leaves nothing for the devil who is constantly looking for something with which to use accuse God’s people. It is not good for the devil to be the one to spot an area of your life that you should have carried to God. This was what happened to Joshua the high priest; the devil spotted him out until mercy spoke for him (Zachariah 3:1-4).
Spiritual examination is foundation for spiritual growth. As you ask God for grace, grace in turn fertilizes spiritual growth.
Pray with me:
Lord, help me to constantly examine myself and to be humble to accept areas of weaknesses, and make your grace available for me to grow daily in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment