Tuesday 16 October 2012

MY ENCOUNTER WITH PROFESSOR JOHNSON

It happened many years ago, I was in 500Level in medical school....We had written our Professional Exams and tension was high as results were awaited. I had mixed feelings as we waited because eventhough my Obstetrics and Gynecology exams went well, during the Paediatrics exam I had met an external examiner during the viva who hit me hard...and so, despite the fact that the other aspects of the Paediatrics exam had gone well, I was languishing in fear of failure doubting if they would have been sufficient enough to cushion the effect of been hit hard in the viva exam which meant loss of marks. I was calm, fearfully though. So as not to be caught unaware, I went on to inform home the condition of things and was looking forward to a resit in Paediatrics.
Professor Johnson had been an external examiner to my school and decided to have his sabbatical there, and so he had been seamlessly introduced among the examiners. He was a professor renowned for "notorious" examinations and students always prayed never to meet him during a clinical or oral exam...your fate could be sealed in the negative just by your appearance and countenance before him. I was among the "lucky" ones he didn't examine I should say. However, this man had developed an unusual flair for me for the short time he had been around...He knew my name, also called me Pastor after my classmates (He is a Muslim), and he even nicknamed me, but all these didn't mean anything during an examination everyone knew.
I was in my continued worried and depressed state just a day before results were to be released. In the evening of that day, something moved me and I found myself walking along the corridors of the Teaching Hospital where we used for our lectures and clinical studies...And behold I ran into the same Professor Johnson while he was returning from the mosque after his evening prayers. And then tension bursted!
He called my name and had me follow him to his office while he asked me how my exams went and my expectations for the results to be released the next day. Trembling but equally trying to build some courage, I explained to him everything and said even if I failed Paediatrics I still would go on to specialize in Paediatrics because I was sure whatever outcome came would have been from my viva exam which did not mean I was bad at the subject. By that time we had entered his office and it was when he asked for me registration number that it dawned on me that this man had a copy of the result that was to be released the next day...my heartbeat increased if not skipped and fears of the unknown gripped me.
At that moment I realized there was no going back...I was faced to face with what I feared most at that moment. I told him my number and in fear tried to read his countenance as he flipped through the result. Then suddenly he looked at me with his big eyeglasses and said, "sorry, you didn't make it". I stood there helplessly hoping I had not been moved to walk that way. And then suddenly I sensed something in my spirit...and before anything, Professor Johnson bursted into smiles and stretched forth his hand to me saying, "congratulations...you made it!" confused, I went closer, took a look at the Paediatrics results...TRULY I MADE IT! I saw the raw scores and it was far away from marginal pass...I passed well and there was no way I could have dropped below the pass mark no matter what the external examiner had done (In medicine, there are no grades...you either pass or fail). I didn't know when I hugged a "dreaded" Professor and in joy told him gracious things...it was like I hugged my late dad.
I left the office a changed man...all the fears were gone. I got back to the students hostels and met my colleagues deliberating on the much anticipated result for the next day...I was quiet all through; I dared not talk. I slept well and confidently went out to see the results when they were pasted. Others who failed were downcasted...those who passed celebrated. I joined the celebration but it was never like the previous evening.
Just this night, while I was worrying about something, the Lord gently reminded me about this encounter that happened many years ago. He said that 'if only we can see the future (He has prepared), there will be no need to fear or be worried'. He reminded me about the encounter with Professor Abdulwahab Johnson...and whispered "PEACE". And I am sharing the same with you having been encouraged similarly...be encouraged; God has reserved great things for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment